Frequently Asked Questions
What can I expect from class?
Why aren’t there separate classes for different age groups?
As a parent, what is my role in class?
We ask that you do not to give verbal directions. It can be tough to restrain the impulse to give your child directives such as “Do what she is doing, hold your instrument this way” but children respond best by just seeing and hearing you doing (and enjoying) it yourself! Wandering toddlers is fine, but If you want your child to come back to you, avoid calling to him from across the room. If necessary, redirect your child physically back to you or the circle. Of course watch out for your child’s safety, but mostly your job is to just relax, and have fun!
How should we use the Music Together CD, Songbook and Family Zone at MusicTogether.com?
Log on to the Music Together Family Zone using the code in your CD booklet. There are lots of activities to try relating to the songs, colouring pages to download as well as information for parents about music development.
New Music Together parents receive our introductory DVD “Music Together at Home: Helping Your Child Grow Musically”. During class your teacher will refer to topics and point out examples of things covered in the video. We are also happy to discuss your child’s individual progress in obtaining musical competence at any time outside of class. If you are a returning student and it has been months or years since you have read the Parent Guide or seen the new DVD, reread it or ask for a copy of the DVD today! You may be surprised how valuable it is, especially after having personal experience observing your child’s music development.
How I can make music at home with my child?
- Make up new words to tunes you know already and include your child’s name in the song – could be about what you see around you or related to activities like getting ready for bed.
- Have a play along jam in the kitchen with all of the pots and pans and big spoons and whisks etc. Put on the Music Together CD and jam along or choose one of your favourite bands and introduce some new music to your child.
- Pick at time of day and create a ritual moment where you make music with your child. Perhaps it’s a lullaby before bed, a song during bath time, a dance jam when mom and dad get home from work, a brushing teeth song, or a wake-up and get ready song.
- Sing in the car! This is a great place to play with part singing and rounds or singing along with your favourite music.
- Use props like bouncing balls, scarves or sheets to play with the rhythm and form of the music.
- Invite your child up on your lap and sing your way through a horsey ride, a crazy car ride or and airplane ride.
What is the class size?
Can I bring my un-registered older sibling to class?
- Please make your best effort to arrive on time with older sibs so they have a chance to say hello to the teacher and adjust to the class instead of arriving to a large group already singing adults they haven’t met yet.
- Let older sibs know they are welcome in the class and we are looking forward to making music with them in the circle. From past experience I’ve found that it doesn’t work very well when older children read, colour or play with toys on the side while we are all making music in the circle. Little kids LOVE to know what big kids are doing!
• Help older children to feel welcome by letting them know this is a family music making experience and everyone is welcome and participates to their own ability. The less they feel like they are being dragged their little brother/sister’s class, the better. 😉
Can we eat/drink in class?
Is it OK for more than one adult to come to class?
What if I miss a class during the semester?
Can I switch to a different class?
What is your refund policy?
• More than two weeks prior to classes start -full refund minus $25 admin fee.
• Less than two weeks prior to classes starting – refund minus $75.
• No refunds after the first class.
Non-attendance does not constitute a withdrawal and all tuition fees are forfeited if Bang A Beat Music Therapy Centre is not informed of your withdrawal before classes start. If circumstances necessitate withdrawal from class, please call the school office.
Are class cancelled due to bad weather?
What if my class is cancelled?
If an individual class needs to be cancelled, the teacher will be in touch with families via email to reschedule the class at the end of the semester where permitted. If that does not work for families, they you be entitled to attend a session at another time and/or location throughout the year.